Bell Towers

Completion of the interior was foremost in the minds of all parishioners, so the towers and bells were scheduled for last.

At long last, in 1958, the dream of the Archdiocese of Omaha and the Cathedral parishioners in particular, was being fulfilled. The church's twin towers were capped with two six and a half-foot bronze crosses.

Reaching some two hundred twenty-two feet in the air, the tower completions were done by the Mainelli Construction Company at a cost of $135,000.

All that remained to be done now were the bells.

In October of 1958 the bells were donated to the Church by Edward C. Epsen, in memory of his late son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. (Helen) Epsen.

Installation was preceded by a consecration ceremony with Msgr. Graham presiding.

The "D" Natural (tone) bell, weighing three thousand five hundred pounds, was named for Saint Edward.

The "F" Natural, two thousand pound bell, was named for Our Lady of Lourdes.

The "A" Natural bell of eleven hundred pounds was named for Saint Helen.

The bells are electronically controlled.

 

~ Saint Cecilia's Cathedral, 1981